Thursday, May 16, 2019

The Golden Lily Chapter 4

SONYA DIDNT SAY ANYTHING about the mysterious encounter to the stick around of the gang at Adrians, so I respected her silence. Everyone else was too preoccupied with dinner and the experiments to notice practic ally else. And once they conducted the second wave of experiments, in while I grew too averted to give a lot vista to the jest at on the street.Sonya had say she regarded to envision how Eddie and Dimitri responded to direct spirit. This was accomplished by her and Adrian focusing their conjuration at the dhampirs one at a time.Its sort of handle what wed do if we were trying to heal them or hold nighthing grow, Sonya explained to me. Dont worry this isnt going to make them supersized or any(prenominal)thing.Its more like were coating them with spirit magic. If Dimitris got some dwelling mark from when he was healed, Id imagine it would react with our magic. She and Adrian coordinated their timing and did Eddie first. Initially, there was nada to see jus t the devil spirit users staring at Eddie. He steped uncomfortable under the scrutiny.Then, I pr all overb a silvery shimmer run over his consistence. I stepped back, amazed and unnerved at seeing a physical manifestation of spirit. They repeated the process on Dimitri, with the uniform results. App argonntly, on an unseen level, things were the same too. There was nothing notable about Dimitris response. both of them took this in stride as set off of the scientific process, merely seeing that magic in truth embrace the 2 men had creeped me out.As Eddie and I bevy back to Amberwood that night, I found myself sitting as far away from him as I could in the car, as though residual magic might leak over and touch me. He chatted with me in our usual, friendly way, and I had to work hard to hide my feelings. Doing so do me feel guilty. This was Eddie, aft(prenominal) all. My friend. The magic, even if it couldve hurt me, was long since kaput(p).A considerably night of sle ep went a long ways to escape from both my anxiety and guilt, leaving the magic a distant memory when I woke and prepared for classes the near twenty-four hours. til straightway though being at Amberwood was an assignment, Id human body of halt down to love the elite school. Id been homeschooled before this, and age my dad had certainly taught tough curriculum, hed never gone beyond what he felt was necessary. Here, even if I surpassed what my classes were learning, there were plenty of teachers doctor to encourage me to push farther. I hadnt been allowed to go to college, but this was a sensitive substitute.Before I could get on to it, I had to chaperone a training session with Eddie and Angeline.Even though he might requisite to avoid her, he wouldnt not with Jills safety on the line. Angeline was pop out of Jills defense. I settled down in the grass with a cup of coffee berry, still appreciationing if he wasnt just imagining Angelines inte informality. Id recently acquired a one-cup coffee maker for my dorm room, and while it couldnt compare to a coffee shop, it had gotten me through a number of rough mornings. A yawn sm otherwiseed my greeting as Jill sit down beside me.Eddie never trains me anymore, she said wistfully, as we watch outed the spectacle. Eddie was trying to patiently explain to Angeline that headbutting, while suitable in a bar brawl, was not always the best tactic with Strigoi.Im sure he will if he gets more time, I said, though I wasnt sure at all. instanter that he could admit his feelings for Jill to himself, he was nervous about touching her too some(prenominal). That, and a chivalrous part of him didnt want Jill risking herself anyway. It was ironic because Jills hysteria in wanting to learn self-defense (rare in a Moroi) was what had attracted him to her.Angeline was recruited as protection. Hes got to make sure she shadow handle it.I make do. I just feel like everyones trying to coddle me. She frowned. In PE, Mi cah wont allow me do anything. After I had all that trouble beginning out, hes now paranoid Ill hurt myself. I keep telling him Im fine, that it was just the sun but rise, he keeps jumping in. Its sweetbut it drives me gaga sometimes.Ive noticed it, I admitted. I was in the same PE class. I dont think thats why Eddie wont train you, though. He cheats you understructure do it. Hes proud that you can he just thinks that if hes doing his job, you shouldnt put one across to learn. Kind of weird logic.No, I get it. Her earlier dismay shifted to approval as she turned back to the training session.Hes so utilize and, well, good at what he does.The knees an easy way to disable someone, Eddie told Angeline. Especially if youre caught without a weapon and befool to When are you going to teach me to stake or decapitate? she interrupted, hands on her hips. All the time, its scud here, dodge this, blah, blah, blah. I need to practice killing Strigoi.No, you dont. Eddie was the picture of patience and back in the determined, ready mode I knew so well. Youre not here to kill Strigoi. mayhap we can practice that at a later time, but near now, your priority is retention mortal assassins away from Jill. That takes precedence over anything else, even our lives. He glanced over at Jill for emphasis, and there was a flash of admiration in his look as he looked at her.Seems like decapitation would kill Moroi just the same, Angeline grumbled. And besides, you did pay back a Strigoi line of work last month.Jill shifted uneasily beside me, and even Eddie paused. It was true he had had to kill two Strigoi recently, back when Adrians apartment had been Keiths. lee side Donahue had led the Strigoi to us. He was a Moroi whod once been Strigoi. After he was returned to his natural state, Lee had wanted urgently to become a Strigoi again. He was the reason wed learned that those restored by spirit seemed to realize some Strigoi resistance. The two Strigoi hed called to a nswer him had tried to convert him but ended up killing him instead a founder fate than being undead, in my opinion.Those Strigoi had then turned on the rest of us and inadvertently revealed something unanticipated and alarming (if not to them, then to me). My seam was inedible. Theyd tried to drink from me and been unable to. With all the fallout from that night, no one among the Alchemists or Moroi had paid much attention to that small detail and I was grateful. I was affright that one of these days someone would think to put me under a microscope.That was a fluke, said Eddie at last. non one thats likely to happen again. Now watch the way my leg moves, and remember that a Moroi will probably be taller than you. He did a demonstration, and I cast a quick look at Jill. Her face was unreadable. She never talked about Lee, whom shed dated briefly. Micah had gone a long way to distract her on the romantic front, but having your last boyfriend want to become a bloodthirsty dev il couldnt be an easy thing to get over. I had a feeling she was still in pain, even if she did a great job at hiding it.Youre too rigid, Eddie told Angeline, after several attempts.She completely relaxed her corpse, almost like a marionette. So, what? Like this? He sighed. No. You still need some tension.Eddie moved rat her and attempted to guide her into position, showing her how to bend her knees and hold her arms. Angeline took the opportunity to lean back into him and brush her body suggestively against his. My eyes widened. Okay. Maybe he wasnt imagining things.Hey He leapt backwards, a look of horror on his face. Pay attention You need to learn this.Her expression was pure angelic innocence. I am. Im just trying to use your body to learn what to do with mine. So help me, she batted her eyelashes. Eddie moved back even farther.I realized I should probably intervene, no matter what Eddie had said about handling his own problems. An even better recoverer came when the school s thirty-minute rebukeing bell rang.I jumped up.Hey, we should go if we want to get to breakfast in time. Right now. Angeline gave me a suspicious look. Dont you usually skip breakfast?Yeah, but Im not the one putting in a hard mornings work. Besides, you still need to change and wait, youre in your uniform? I hadnt even noticed. Whenever Eddie and Jill trained, it was always in casual workout clothes just like he wore now. Angeline had actually come out directly in an Amberwood uniform, skirt and blouse, that were showing the wear and tear of a mornings battle.Yeah, so? She tucked in her blouse where it had started to come undone. The side of it was smudged with dirt.You should change, I said.Nah. This is fine.I wasnt so sure, but at least it was better than the jean shorts. Eddie did farewell to put on his uniform and never came back for breakfast. I knew he liked his breakfasts, and since he was a guy, he could change clothes pretty quickly. My guess was he was sacrificing f ood to stay away from Angeline.I heard my name called as we entered the cafeteria and caught sight of Kristin Sawyer and Julia Cavendish waving to me. Aside from terzetto, they were the two closest friends Id made at Amberwood. I still had miles to go in ever being socially savvy, but those two had helped me a lot. And with all the supernatural intrigue my job involved, there was something comforting about being around people who were normal and, well, human. Even if I couldnt be fully honest with them.Sydney, we pretend a spirt question for you, Julia said. She tossed her blonde haircloth over one shoulder, her usual sign that what she was about to say was of net importance.A fashion question for me? I was almost ready to glance back and see if perhaps there was another Sydney standing behind me. I dont think anyones ever asked that.You have really tenuous clothes, Kristin insisted. She had dark skin and hair, as well as an athletic air that contrasted with Julias more girly nature. Too nice, actually. If my mom were ten courses younger, cool, and had a lot more money, shed dress just like you. I didnt get laid if that was a compliment or not, but Julia didnt give me a chance to ruminate.Tell her, Kris.Remember that way internship I wanted next semester? I scored an interview, Kristin explained. Im trying to decide if I should wear pants and a blazer or a dress. Ah, that explained why they were coming to me. An interview. Anything else they could have pulled from a fashion magazine. And while I could admit that I probably was the authority on such practical matters well, I was kind of thwart that was what Id been summoned for. What color are they?The blazers red, and the dress is navy.I studied Kristin, taking in her features. On her wrist was a scar, the remnant of an insidious tattoo Id helped remove, back when Keiths shady tattoo ring had run rampant. Do the dress. postponement is it a dress youd wear to church or to a nightclub?Church, she sa id, not sounding beaming about it.Dress for sure then, I said.Kristin flashed a triumphant look at Julia. See? I told you thats what shed say. Julia looked doubtful. The blazers more fun. Its bright red.Yeah, but fun isnt usually what you want to portray at an interview, I pointed out. It was hard to keep a straight face with their banter. At least not for this kind of job. Julia still didnt seem convinced, but she also didnt try to talk Kristin out of my sound fashion advice. A few moments later, Julia perked up. Hey, is it true Trey set you up with some guy?I what? No. Whered you hear that? Like I had to ask. Shed undoubtedly heard it from Trey himself.Trey said hed talked to you about it, said Kristin. How this guys perfect for you.Its a great idea, Syd, said Julia, face as serious as if we were discussing a life or death matter. Itd be good for you. I mean, since school started, Ive gone out with She paused and silently counted out names on her fingers. four guys. You know ho w many youve gone out with? She held up a fist. That many.I dont need to go out with anyone, I argued. I have enough complications already. Im pretty sure that would add more.What complications? laughed Kristin. Your awesome grades, killer body, and perfect hair? I mean, okay, your familys a little out there, but come on, everyone has time for a date now and then or lots, in Julias case.Hey, said Julia, though she didnt deny the charge.Kristin pushed forward, making me think she was more conform to to a legal internship than a counseling one. Skip homework for once. Give this guy a shot, and we can all go out together sometime. Itd be fun.I gave them a forced smile and murmured something noncommittal. Everyone has time for a date now and then. Everyone but me, of course. I felt a surprising pang of longing, not for a date but just for social interaction. Kristin and Julia went out a lot with a larger group of friends and love interests and often invited me on their outings. They thought my reticence was because of homework or, perhaps, no suitable guy to go with me. I wished it were that simple, and suddenly, it was as though there was a huge chasm separating me from Kristin and Julia.I was their friend, and they had welcomed me to every part of their lives. Meanwhile, I was full of secrets and half truths. Part of me wished I could be open with them and able to confide all the woes of my Alchemist life. Heck, part of me just wished I really could go on one of these outings and let go of my duties for a night. It would never work, of course. Wed be out at a movie, and Id probably get texted to come cover up a Strigoi slaying.This mood wasnt uncommon for me, and it began lightening as I started my school day. I fell into the round of golf of my schedule, comfortable in its familiarity. Teachers always assigned the most work over weekends, and I was pleased to be able to turn in all that Id done on my plane rides. Unfortunately, my last class of the day dera iled all the progress of my mood. Actually, class wasnt the right word. It was an independent study I had with my history teacher, Ms. Terwilliger.Ms. Terwilliger had recently revealed herself to be a magic user, a witch of sorts or whatever those people referred to themselves as. Alchemists had heard rumors of them, but it was nothing we had a lot of experience with or facts about. To our knowledge, only Moroi wielded magic. We utilized it in our lily tattoos which had trace amounts of vampire blood but the thought of humans producing it in the same way was crazy and twisted.That was why it was such a surprise when Ms. Terwilliger not only revealed herself to me last month but also ended up kind of tricking me into wielding a spell. It had left me shocked and even feeling dirty. Magic was not for humans to use. We had no right to manipulate the world like that it was a hundred times worse than what Sonya had done to the red lily on the street. Ms. Terwilliger insisted I had a nat ural affinity for magic and had offered to train me.Why she wanted this, exactly, I wasnt sure. Shed gone on and on about the potential I had, but I could hardly believe shed want to train me without a reason of her own. I hadnt figured out what that might be, but it didnt matter. Id refused her offer. So, shed found a workaround.Miss Melbourne, how much longer do you think youll be on the Kimball book? she called from her desk. Trey had picked up Melbourne from her, but unlike him, she seemed to constantly forget that wasnt my actual name. She was in her forties, with mousy brown hair and a perpetually cunning glint in her eyes.I looked up from my work, forcing politeness. Two more days. Three at most.Make sure to translate all three of the sleep of spells, she said. Each has its own nuances.There are four sleep spells in this book, I corrected.Are there? she asked innocently. Im glad to see theyre making an impression. I hid a scowl. Having me copy and translate spell books for re search was how she taught me. I couldnt help but learn the texts as I read them. I hated that Id been ensnared, but it was too late in the school year to transfer out. Besides, I could hardly complain to the administration that I was being forced to learn magic.So, I dutifully copied her spell books and spoke as little as possible during our time together. Meanwhile, I simmered with resentment. She was well aware of my discomfort but made no attempts to alleviate the tension, leaving us in a stalemate. Only one thing brightened those sessions.Look at that. Its been nearly two hours since my last cappuccino. Its a wonder I can function. Would you be kind enough to run to Spencers? That should finish us out for the day. The last bell had rung fifteen minutes ago, but Id been putting in some overtime.I was already closing the spell book before she finished speaking. When Id begun as her assistant, Id resented the constant errands. Now, I looked forward to the escape. Not to mention my own caffeine fix.When I reached the coffee shop, I found Trey was just starting his shift, which was great not just because he was a friendly face, but because it meant discounts. He began making my nine before I even placed it since he knew the drill by now. Another barista offered to help, and Trey gave him precise instructions on what to do.Skinny vanilla latte, said Trey, grabbing the caramel for Ms. Terwilligers cappuccino.Thats sugar-free syrup and skim. Dont mess it up. She can sniffle out sugar and 2% milk a mile away. I suppressed a smile. Maybe I couldnt reveal Alchemist secrets to my friends, but it was nice to know they at least knew my coffee preferences backwards and forwards.The other barista, who looked to be our age, gave Trey a droll look. Im well aware of what skinny means.Nice attention to detail, I teased Trey. I didnt know you cared.Hey, I live to serve, he said. Besides, I need your help this night with that lab write-up from chem. You always find things I miss.Its due tomorrow, I chastised. You had two weeks. Im guessing you didnt get much done in your cheerleader study session.Yeah, yeah. Will you help me out? Ill even go to your campus.Ill be up late with a study group a real one. The opposite sex was banned from our dorms after a certain hour. I could meet you on Central Campus afterward if you want.How many campuses does your school have? asked the other barista, setting down my latte.Three. I reached eagerly for the coffee. Like Gaul.Like what? asked Trey.Sorry, I said. Latin joke.Omnia frog in tres partes divisa est, said the barista.I jerked my head up. Not much could have distracted me from coffee, but comprehend Julius Caesar quoted at Spencers certainly did.You know Latin? I asked.Sure, he said. Who doesnt?Trey rolled his eyes. Only the rest of the world, he muttered.Especially classical Latin, continued the barista. I mean, its pretty remedial compared to Medieval Latin.Obviously, I said. Everyone knows that. All the ru les became chaotic in the post-Empire decentralization.He nodded agreement. Although, if you compare it to the Romance languages, the rules start to make sense when you read them as part of the larger picture of the languages evolution.This, interrupted Trey, is the most messed-up thing Ive ever seen. And the most beautiful.Sydney, this is Brayden. Brayden, Sydney. Trey rarely used my first name, so that was weird, but not nearly as weird as the misinform wink he gave me.I shook Braydens hand. Nice to meet you.You too, he said. Youre a Classics fan, huh? He paused, braggy me a long, considering look. Did you see the Park Theatre Groups production of Antony and Cleopatra this summer?No. Didnt even know they performed it. I suddenly felt kind of lame for not having known that, as though I should be up on all arts and culture events in the greater Palm Springs area.I added by way of explanation, I only moved here a month ago.I think they have a couple performances left in the season . Brayden hesitated once more. Id see it again if you wanted to go. Though Ill warn you its one of those reinterpreted Shakespeare productions. Modern clothes.I dont mind. That kind of reinterpretation is what makes Shakespeare timeless. The words rolled automatically off my lips. As they did, I suddenly had one of those epiphany moments where I realized there was more going on than Id initially thought. I replayed Braydens words. Between that and Treys enormous grin, I soon had a startling realization. This was the guy Trey had been telling me about. My person mate. And he was asking me out.This is a great idea, said Trey. You kids should totally go see that play. Make a whole day of it. Grab some dinner and hang out at the library or whatever it is you do for fun. Brayden met my eyes. His were hazel, almost like Eddies but with a little green. Not as much green as Adrians, of course. No ones eyes were that amazingly green. Braydens brown hair occasionally picked up glints of amb er in the light and was cut in a no-nonsense way that showed off the angles of his cheekbones. I had to admit, he was pretty cute. They perform Thursday through Sunday, he said. Ive got a debate tournament over the weekendcould you do it Thursday night?I Could I? There was nothing planned, so far as I knew. About twice a week, I took Jill to the home of Clarence Donahue, an old Moroi who had a feeder. Thursday wasnt a scheduled feeding night, though, and technically I wasnt obligated to go to experiment nights.Of course shes free, Trey jumped in before I could even answer. Right, Sydney?Yes, I said, shooting him a look. Im free.Brayden smiled. I smiled back. Nervous silence fell. He seemed as unsure as I was about how to proceed. I would have thought it was cute, if I wasnt so worried that I looked ridiculous.Trey elbowed him sharply. This is the part where you ask for her number. Brayden nodded, though he didnt look like he appreciated the elbowing. Right, right. He pulled a cell p hone out of his pocket. Is it Sydney with a y or i? Trey rolled his eyes. What?Im guessing the former, but as naming conventions become increasingly untraditional, you never know. I just want to get it right in my phone.I would have done the same thing, I agreed. I then told him my phone number.He looked up and smiled at me. Great. Im facial expression forward to it.Me too, I said, and actually meant it.I left Spencers in a daze. I had a date. How on earth did I have a date?Trey hurried out to me a few moments later, catching me as I was unlocking my car. He still wore his barista apron. Well? he asked. Was I right, or was I right?About what? I asked, though I had a feeling I knew what was coming.About Brayden being your soul mate.I told you I know, I know. You dont believe in soul mates. Still, he grinned, if that guy isnt perfect for you, then I dont know who is.Well, well see. I balanced Ms. Terwilligers cup on top of the car, so I could drink from my own. Of course, he doesnt l ike modern Shakespearean interpretations, so that might be a deal breaker.Trey stared at me in disbelief. Seriously?No, I said, giving him a look. Im kidding. Well, maybe. The latte Brayden had made me was pretty good, so I was automatic to give him the benefit of a doubt on the Shakespeare thing.Why do you care so much about my romantic life anyway? Trey shrugged and stuffed his hands into his pockets. Already, beads of sweat were forming on his suntanned skin from the late afternoon sun. I dont know. I guess I feel like I owe you for everything that went down with the tattoos. That and all your homework help.You dont really need my help with that. And the tattoos I frowned, as an take in of Keith beating on the glass flashed through my mind. Keiths vampire blood ring had resulted in high-inducing tattoos that had wreaked havoc on Amberwood. Trey, of course, didnt know about my personal interest in the matter. He just knew Id gotten rid of those who were using the tattoos to di rty advantage in sports. I did it because it was the right thing to do. That made him smile. Of course. Still, its saved me a lot of melancholy with my dad.I should hope so. You dont have any competition on the team now. What more could your dad want?Oh, theres always something else he thinks I could be the best at. Its not just football. Trey had hinted at that before.I know what thats like, I said, thinking of my own father. A moment of silence fell between us.It doesnt help that my perfect cousins coming into town soon, he said finally. Makes everything I do look completely lame. You got a cousin like that?Er, not really. Most of my cousins were on my moms side, and my dad tended to shy away from her family.You probably are the perfect cousin, Trey grumbled. Anyway, yeah, therere always these expectations in the family always these tests. Footballs given me some respectability for now. He winked at me. That and my awesome chem grade. That last comment wasnt lost on me. Fine. Ill text you when I get back tonight. Well make it happen.Thanks. And Ill give Brayden a talking-to so he doesnt try anything on Thursday. My mind was still full of Latin and Shakespeare. Try what? Trey shook his head. Honestly, Melbourne, I dont know how youve survived this long in the world without me.Oh, I said, blushing. That. Great. Now I had something else to worry about.Trey scoffed. Between you and me, Braydens probably the last guy in the world you have to worry about. I think hes as clueless as you are. If I didnt care about your justness so much, Id actually probably give him a lecture on how to try something.Well, thanks for keeping my best interests at heart, I said dryly. I always wanted a brother to watch out for me.He studied me curiously. Dont you have, like, three brothers? Oh no.Er, I meant figuratively. I tried not to panic. I rarely slipped up on our background story.Eddie, Adrian, and Keith had all been passed off as my brothers at some point. no(prenominal) of them are really that concerned about my dating life. What Im concerned about, though, is getting into air conditioning. I undefendable my car door, and a wave of heat rolled out. Ill talk to you tonight and help you with the lab.Trey nodded, looking like he wanted to get back inside as well. And Ill help you if you have any more questions about dating.I hoped my scathing look told him my opinion on that, but once he was gone and I was blasting the cars air conditioning, my arrogance faded. Anxiety took its place. The question Id asked myself earlier repeated in my head.How on earth was I going to get through this date alive?

No comments:

Post a Comment